[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:39:11 PDT 2009

At the risk of being labeled a fool, too. My point was Shag's (sorry to hear of the accident, btw), linguistic natural selectionists are antisocial hyperdarwinists who have no concept of the coevolution of the indeterminate character of human nature in its dialectically and situated biophysical and sociocultural modalities. What is to be human is to make our own lives, together, under conditions not of our own choosing... how can anyone think otherwise? I doubt many here disagree but it appears many in the realm of linguistic study do (but I'm utterly ignorant of the field, which I why I wrote "appears".)

It strikes me that Shag's point, and that of the book (that I've not read a page of or anything off-list about), is that studies of language have simultaneously tended towards the reductive and absolutist - claiming, often, that the more we know about less and less, the more we can say about more and more.... Now, there's some foolishness.

-A