[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 15 11:22:01 PDT 2009

At 05:42 PM 6/12/2009, Michael Smith wrote:

>Now Suh, them's fightin' words. If Kenneally's book appears to
>some of us to be work of shallow flyweight popularization, then
>are we not to say so? That's "browbeating"?
>
>And who has been "dissing" Shag?

I'll just say I wasn't talking about you.

> If
> > everyone but the people in the isolated Chilean village was wiped
> > out, then the future society that descended from them might be an answer.
>
>That would be so if a) Lamarck was right or b) the Chilean
>villagers' children kept taking their arsenic shots.

I was thinking of something I read about called "social transfer of immunity."

http://as111.http.sasm3.net/phpbin/news/releases/display.php?id=177

Boston, MA ­ Modern medicine discovered vaccination only two centuries ago-although its common use began more than a hundred years later, and then mainly in Europe and North America. For most people in the world, vaccination began less than fifty years ago.

Termites, however, probably began using the technique around two hundred million years ago, according to new research by Boston University professor of biology James F. A. Traniello and his co-researchers. Traniello and his team have found that termites exposed to pathogens somehow share their immunity with other members of their colony.

[...]