[lbo-talk] One or two flawed historical analogies (was Re: Stratfor: Western Misconceptions Meet Iranian Reality)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 23:50:05 PDT 2009

I'm not going to get into my 999th pointless internet discussion about the Russian state, but yeah, speaking of flawed historical analogies... If Russia were Weimar, it would be in a a deep trough after years of economic hardship, instead of having had one of the world's fastest growth rates from 1999-2008. It would also have a strong, powerful communist movement opposed by a strong, powerful fascist movement, as opposed to Zyuganov and some skinheads, with paramilitaries from both organizations fighting in the streets. It would also be largely monoethnic and monocultural, which is kind of a prerequisite for fascists to come to powers, instead of what it is, fantasmagorically multiethnic.

There are practically no similarities.