[lbo-talk] One or two flawed historical analogies (was Re: Stratfor: Western Misconceptions Meet Iranian Reality)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 06:44:26 PDT 2009

Excuse me, but this makes no sense. In the 1990s, the Russian government had no public approval and was run (largely) by kleptocrats who pushed through tremendously unpopular policies and stole (really stole, not just fiddled with a few percentage points) elections. This was even worse on the local level. Whereas today, the Russian government has great public approval and tremendously popular policies, and the local governments are more-or-less (more less than more) beaten into line.

How did the democratic system collapse?