[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 16:59:44 PDT 2009

Come to think of it, there's a point I would like to make. The Soviet intelligentsia was not the Russian intelligentsia of the 19th century or the Silver Age -- the Akhmatovas and Chaadaevs and Berdyaevs and so forth. That social stratum, the intelligentsia proper, the people for whom the word was invented, was wiped out by the events of the early to mid 20th century (maybe it's a stratum that can only exist in a feudal society). The Soviet intelligentsia was a self-identified group of middling-educated people who glommed onto the mystique of the earlier intelligentsia because it made them feel special and more deserving. (Note that intelligentsia does not mean intellectuals. Sakharov and Zinoviev were intellectuals. They were not members of the intelligentsia.)