[lbo-talk] Atul Gawande on the cost of medicine in McAllen, TX

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Jun 21 23:04:11 PDT 2009

Michael wrote

"This is the article that Obama cited recently as so important for his own perspective:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande "

Yes, I read it. What was odd about it was that it purports to show that the problem is not for-profit medicine, that there are other issues that play a part....but it winds up showing that the profit motive (on the part of doctors rather than insurance companies) plays a part both in bad and in expensive medicine.

So, though I appreciated the scholarship, the overall argument didn't make much sense.

Joanna