[lbo-talk] Atul Gawande on the cost of medicine in McAllen, TX

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Jun 22 05:39:15 PDT 2009

According to the article and much other evidence, the profit motive appears to vary radically from one place to the next, which calls it into question as the most important factor.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Joanna Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 2:04 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Atul Gawande on the cost of medicine in McAllen, TX

Michael wrote

"This is the article that Obama cited recently as so important for his

own perspective:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande "

Yes, I read it. What was odd about it was that it purports to show that the problem is not for-profit medicine, that there are other issues that play a part....but it winds up showing that the profit motive (on the part of doctors rather than insurance companies) plays a part both in bad and in expensive medicine.

So, though I appreciated the scholarship, the overall argument didn't make much sense.