[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 11:59:01 PDT 2009

--- On Mon, 6/22/09, Bryan Atinsky <bryan at alt-info.org> wrote:

> Also to the fact that it is irrelevant. If it was such an
> irrelevant, minuscule part of his policy platform, why does
> he seem to bring it up on every occasion possible and lest
> you forget, have an international conference of Holocaust
> questioning/denial?

[WS:] None of us knows that for sure, but let me guess - to piss his ideological opponents and detractors off. A lot of people say outrageous things purely for their shock value to piss their audience off - shock jocks do this on the radio, gangsta-rappers do this in their music, the counter-culture crowd does this in their clothing, labels, jargon, and so on. Ahmenajad is closer to being a spokesman - a performer if you will - than the actual leader of a country, so it is not too farfetched to think that he pulls a Borat every now and then.

And guess what - it works.

Wojtek