[lbo-talk] freedom to swim

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jun 22 13:15:12 PDT 2009

while i don't disagree, it's cracking me up. the issue was gender segregation. a single mother cannot take her kid to a public pool b/c they won't let women in the same pool as men. i didn't think i'd have to actually spell that out as I thought that people understood the general oppression of women in Iran via gender segregation schemes -- for which Imadickinjar was notable during his tenure as mayor.

nothing to do with just basic swimming and whether you can or can't go, but about being able to, as a mother, take your 10 year old kid to the public swimming pool. Or to use the swimming pool at your apartment complex.

these issues are emblematic of what's at root of these protests: gender oppression and a desire for a modicum of freedom in one's personal life that is free from the mercurial wishes of a clerical elite, or whatever government bureaucrat decides to be an asshole that day. the issue is a kind of rule-lessness that allows petty tyrants in the bureaucracy, among the basiji, among clerics to just make it up as they go along.

> Re: all those who think that the freedom to swim is somehow an elitist
> concern when it comes to Iran, Lou Proyect cites this excellent
> passage from Lenin's "What Is To Be Done?":
>
> <http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/a-velvet-revolution-in-iran/
> >

> Why is there not a single political event in Germany that does not add
> to the authority and prestige of the Social-Democracy? Because Social-
> Democracy is always found to be in advance of all the others in
> furnishing the most revolutionary appraisal of every given event and
> in championing every protest against tyranny
It intervenes in every