[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 22 13:11:17 PDT 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I do not claim any knowledge of the facts on the ground in Iran, but
> declare demos _as such_ inspiring is mindless. Were the dmos by
> housewives just before the overthrow of Allende inspiring?
>
> I'm NOT saying anything at all about Iran; I'm comment _only_ of the
> fatuity of seeing demos in the abstract as inspiring. Perhaps they
> are;
> perhaps they are not. It requires investigation.

Who the fuck said that the "demos _as such_" were inspiring? Certainly not me. These strike me as nothing like the anti-Allende affairs. They seem like a spontaneous rebellion against a shitty regime, and I wish we could have some of that here.

Why do you have to erupt like this? You proclaim your own ignorance of the situation in Iran, and obviously you're ignorant of what I and others have been saying, but you feel compelled to insert a dyspeptic comment like this anyway?

Doug