[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

northsunm at yahoo.com northsunm at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 18:51:06 PDT 2009

  You cut off my paragraph at a crucial point. My post continues:

More to the point is what Otum said:

More to the point than his Holocaust denial is that if Ahmadinejad tomorrow miraculously aquiesced to Western objectives in the Lebanon (ie stopped supporting Hezbollah), and opened Iran to Western capital, then Iran would overnight cease to be a "paraiah," and Ahmadinejad would overnight become either a reformer or a strongman, and no more of an "embarrassment" than is a King Abdullah, a Mubarak or an Abu Mazen. And Iranian elections would become no more of an issue than Egyptian, Palestinian or Saudi elections are today.

For some reason there is no discussion of Otum's point. It continues to be avoided. Its relevance to criticising Ahmadinejad as a clown is that not only is he criticised as a clown but demonised made a pariah and subject to sanctions but King Abdullah etc. who no doubt has comparable clownish beliefs and provides much less freedom to women is nevertheless not a pariah at all.

The point is not about criticising Ahmadinejad as being a clown but that he is opposed to US policies. Rafsanjani may be a rich clown and Mousavi a clown as well but they would nevertheless be supported by the US and attempts made to help them get into power because they are more accomodating to US interests and would be friendlier to US capital etc.

This is my interpretation of the wacky anti-imperialist line that you dont understand. Do you get it now. Did Otum drift off in disgust or what?

Blog:  http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog:  http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html