[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 22 19:03:03 PDT 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 9:51 PM, northsunm at yahoo.com wrote:

> More to the point than his Holocaust denial is that if Ahmadinejad
> tomorrow miraculously aquiesced to Western objectives in the Lebanon
> (ie stopped supporting Hezbollah), and opened Iran to Western
> capital, then Iran would overnight cease to be a "paraiah," and
> Ahmadinejad would overnight become either a reformer or a strongman,
> and no more of an "embarrassment" than is a King Abdullah, a Mubarak
> or an Abu Mazen. And Iranian elections would become no more of an
> issue than Egyptian, Palestinian or Saudi elections are today.

So what? I don't care about how Iran is perceived or framed by Western imperial interests - I care about what the regime does to Iranians. And many many Iranians, maybe even most, want to be free of the mullahs - which, do I have to say this? - is fundamentally the business of Iranians, not us.

I'm not the one seeing everything through Western eyes - you and several others are, except you're just flipping the signs from negative to positive.

Doug