[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 22 23:27:09 PDT 2009

northsunm at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hmmmm? Arent the whole western media seeing the matter through Western eyes. If it is a matter for the Iranians why is there wall to wall coverage on CNN and concern that Obama speak out more etc etc. How come you aren't shouting from the rooftops to stop all the time spent on Iran and protesting that more time should be spent on healthcare reform or other domestic issues.
> Why is that the US has spent millions in programs to destabilise Iran?
>
> Now of course this is fundamentally the interest of Iranians not us. But it is surely our interest to support changes we think are in the direction we think best whether in our own country or elsewhere. Perhaps you think that US imperialism is progressive and modernisation of Iran a great boon but then I guess that couldn't be because it sounds suspiciously like seeing things through western eyes insofar as I can grasp what that means.

Those who can't chew gum and walk at the same time are the same who argue against imaginary foes. Who ever said they support Mousavi and Rafsanjani on this list? So when exactly is it ok for us to hope and give our moral support (I'm not sure what material support we could give in this situation?) for oppressed people in a horrible regime such as Iran? What time is good for you? After we workers in the USA seize the means of production, or should we wait until the fall of the US empire, lest we may get Imperialism in our peanut butter?