[lbo-talk] Hamid Dabashi on Iran

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 23 13:01:35 PDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:50:51 -0400
> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>>> . Michael, that's ridiculous. "Anti-inflation, forsooth!" Easy for
>> you to say, not facing 30% price increases and rising unemployment.
>> Poverty and inequality have both increased under Ahmadinejad, you
>> know.
>
> So I read, and have no basis to question it. To what extent this is
> A's doing I simply don't know. What are the forces at work?

Ahmedi-nejad has been responsible for the last four years--four years of unparalleled profitability for the oil industry on which the Iranian economy is based. And admittedly his record has added up to a 20-30% inflation rate with rising unemployment, poverty, and inequality. In the whole history of the world has there ever been even one country where, even once in its history, the government responsible for such a record was not, in an honestly run and counted election, voted out of office? Reelection by a landslide? As Khamenei said, "a divine miracle."

Shane Mage