[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 25 14:10:15 PDT 2009

At 01:54 PM 6/25/2009, Michael Smith wrote:

> > It seems pretty clear that a substantial number of people are risking
> > bodily injury or worse to say that they do.
>
>No question about that. But do the relative numbers matter? Or don't
>they?

When we're talking about street protests? You tell me. How many people were on the streets in Chicago in 1968?

>Dr Johnson observes somewhere, "I know two reasons for belief: evidence
>and inclination." Inclination seems to be hard at work here.

And your own inclination to poo poo hipsters in Tehran isn't at work here? Dr. Johnson indeed.

It's curious to me that you have such a dim view of voting in your own country but in the case of Iran you find it so meaningful.