[lbo-talk] Tell them we are democrats (was: freedom to swim)

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Jun 27 19:54:26 PDT 2009

Ken H. writes:

I suggest that you not circulate this too widely, it might be dangerous! Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale is about such a Christian Republic although as I recall it does not have all the democratic features you mention but certainly the misogynist traits.

--- On Sat, 6/27/09, Marv Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Perhaps a Christian Republic of the
> United States of America ...
========================================== It would be no more nor less democratic than the Islamic Republic. My point was that the same Western leftists who tolerate the theocratic system in Iran - even celebrate it, as in Yoshie's case - would scream bloody blue murder about it's imposition in this part of the world and would quickly rally behind the same forces fighting against it whom they presently scorn in Iran.

This discussion has made clear they don't understand that a) mass political movements aren't conjured up by foreign interests but are the product of contradictions and resulting demands for change within society; b) the defence of anti-imperialist states like Iran is not compromised by demands for democratic rights and is in fact rendered more difficult by the supression of the popular movements which promote them; and c) elections are an indication of the deeper political trend which, independent of disputes over vote tallies, seems in this case to be strongly running in favour of the reform movement against the theocracy.