[lbo-talk] Clinton and Obama: Different opinions on Honduras?

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 13:38:59 PDT 2009

Maybe it is just my imagination but Hilary Clinton seems to be taking a much clearer and oppositional position on the coup than Obama. Here is Clinton's view:

http://www.worldbulletin.net/news_detail.php?id=44059

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Sunday condemned the ouster of Honduras' President Manuel Zelaya in a military coup and urged a peaceful resolution to the crisis.

"We call on all parties in Honduras to respect the constitutional order and the rule of law, to reaffirm their democratic vocation, and to commit themselves to resolve political disputes peacefully and through dialogue," she said in a statement.

Reuters

While Obama's statement is similar, he does not condemn the ouster outright.

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-40651920090628

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama expressed deep concern on Sunday at the arrest and expulsion of Honduran President Manuel Zelaya in a military coup d'etat.

"As the Organization of American States did on Friday, I call on all political and social actors in Honduras to respect democratic norms, the rule of law and the tenets of the Inter-American Democratic Charter," Obama said in a statement.

"Any existing tensions and disputes must be resolved peacefully through dialogue free from any outside interference," he said.

--------

Isn't a bit late to respect democratic norms when an elected president is kidnapped and flown to Costa Rica.

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html