[lbo-talk] I say banana, you say bikini (was: those exotic Iranians)

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jun 30 05:04:04 PDT 2009

As others have pointed out, now you're just spouting truisms, which no one here denies -- which is why the conversation is ridiculous.

first, you use the weasel word "may" -- as if to suggest uncertainty, the ability to take it back if evidence is presented otherwise. it also enables you not to have to bring evidence or illustration to the table at all.

then, you follow up with a sentence which completely undermines the "may". There is no "may" or uncertainty about "large numbers of Iranians" because, after all, in the u.s. these values aren't shared by "large numbers of Americans" -- in which you try to wiggle out of the exoticism charge by making an oblique claim to a general human condition.