[lbo-talk] The myth of homophobia

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 17:10:46 PST 2009

On 3/1/09, Philip Pilkington <pilkingtonphil at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM, James Heartfield <
> Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Philkington:
>>
>> > I don't buy it. First off, in my opinion every
>> > "psychological" reaction is
>> > constituted or at very least given its meaning by some sort
>> > of "social"
>> > force.
>>
>> you will be saying God is real next
>

> That was a joke, right? My irony detector sometimes proves a little lacking
> in sensitivity around here. Just to point out, if you weren't, one of the
> first to come up with this idea was Nietzsche...

He _might_ be accusing you of uncritical social determinism, whereas we we enlightened contemporary people have recognized that such-and-such is biologically innate, et cetera.

In any event, "or at very least given its meaning by" makes the statement trivially true, doesn't it? The meaning of everything is socially determined.