[lbo-talk] The myth of homophobia

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 1 21:33:30 PST 2009

Joanna wrote:

> I see absolutely no contradiction between capitalism and homosexuality.
> After all, the more choices, the better. And, assuming that homosexuals
> are less likely to have children, they can spend a lot more money on
> consumption. Even less so do I see any alignment between capitalism and
> "the natural."
>
> Joanna

Yes, there is no necessary contradiction between capitalism and homosexuality, just as there is no necessary contradiction between capitalism and racism, sexism, etc. However, in actually existing social relations in the U. S., heterosexism (the sooner we mothball the term "homophobia", the better!) is an ideological apparatus that reinforces capitalist social relations. We could certainly have capitalism without heterosexism, but that's not the historical moment we're in right now.

Miles