[lbo-talk] "A Libertarian Alternative to the EFCA"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 21:28:03 PST 2009

[Dan Clore is one of those brave American stalwarts who still uses the term 'libertarian' to basically mean 'left-anarchism.' See the Spanish movie _Libertarias_, an anarchist-friendly account of the Spanish Civil War/Revolution of 1936. Like Dean Baker, he uses the 'anti-government intervention' pretext to shoot holes in what the right really wants. -B.]

================

http://www.nolanchart.com/article6060.html

Topic: Economic Policy A Libertarian Alternative to the EFCA

Saturday, February 28, 2009

by Dan Clore

[...]

More principled critics, free-market advocates, have objected to the EFCA on the grounds that it represents government interference in the marketplace. While factually accurate, by itself this ignores the great amount of government interference in the market on behalf of employers. And that suggests a libertarian alternative to the EFCA.

I propose that any company that refuses to allow its workers to unionize be made ineligible to receive any benefits from government interference in the market on its behalf.

But for my purposes here, I'll ignore the vast majority of such government interference on behalf of employers, such as various forms of corporate welfare, protectionism, regulation that eliminates competitors, etc. etc. etc., and focus on a form of government interference that (1) benefits nearly all traditional companies; and (2) is directly relevant to the issue at hand, unionization.

The form of government interference in the marketplace on behalf of employers that I speak of is incorporation. When a government grants a charter of incorporation to companies, it creates by fiat a "collectivist legal entity", or corporation. Among other things, this allows the many owners and investors in the company to be legally considered a single collective entity for business purposes when this is to their benefit, while at the same time granting them "limited liability" that considers them separate from the company when this helps them avoid responsibility for it.

This creates an asymmetrical situation in which employers enjoy the benefits of collective organization and representation, but can deny these benefits to their employees. Unionization, with its collective organization and representation for employees, makes this situation more symmetrical and thus fairer.

So, my suggestion for a libertarian alternative to the EFCA is simply this:

Any employer (company) that refuses to allow its employees to unionize, should be disallowed the charter of incorporation and its consequent benefits.

This would decrease, rather than increase, government interference in the marketplace (granting corporate charters constitutes such interference, while failing to do so does not), and therefore should please advocates of the free market.

It would also most likely lead to a much greater rate of unionization, as most employers would probably choose to recognize their workers' unions rather than forego the benefits of incorporation, and therefore should please union advocates.