[lbo-talk] question about the Real News

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:58:31 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 21:31, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was listening to the GCN radio network here in Austin, which has a weird
> survivalist (US-style) Libertarian motif. All the sponsors' ads are about
> converting your currency into real precious metals like silver or gold, ads
> for purifying water tablets to drop in your water because the government is
> either not doing this, or they are putting too much fluoride, etc., in it.
> Also ads about legal knowledge that can help you live tax free, live off
> the grid, less dependent on "the system," Loompanics-type stuff.

I accidentally happened on this station a few weeks ago and was at turns entertained and frightened by their antics. It is a really amazing set of assertions and advertisements. And, as someone mentioned below, this is far from an isolated, right wing thing. There's a lot of cross-pollination b/w them and left-libertarian types. I couldn't help but think the emphasis on local, organic food is a symptom of the same kind of silver bullet mentality, though perhaps captured with a frosted lens.