[lbo-talk] The Canadian banking model

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 19:26:27 PST 2009

The NEw York times article simply ignores the role of other financial institutions than the large banks.

Over ten percent of Canadian financial transactions are done through caisse populaires and credit unions. As well there is in effect a provincial quasi bank savings system in Alberta plus numerous other institutions such as trust companies that carry out some of the functions of banks and also sever smaller regional banks plus foreign banks such as ING.

Cheers, k hanly

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html