[lbo-talk] kids today

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 6 11:25:37 PST 2009

<http://gawker.com/5165556/college-radicalism-replaced-by-tucker-max>

KIDS THESE DAYS College Radicalism Replaced by Tucker Max By Hamilton Nolan, 12:25 PM on Fri Mar 6 2009, 4,421 views

Back in the sixties, college kids read books—books about revolution and sex and drugs. Today, college kids read Harry Potter books and whine about cops touching their Macbooks. Who's responsible? Tucker Max.

A cranky old Sixties guy in the Washington Post points out that in less than two generations, college kids have gone from "Steal This Book" to "Pretend Vampire Stories."

According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, the best-selling titles on college campuses are mostly about hunky vampires or Barack Obama. Recently, Meyer [the author of the Twilight series] and the president held six of the 10 top spots. In January, the most subversive book on the college bestseller list was "Our Dumb World," a collection of gags from the Onion. The top title in January was "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" by J.K. Rowling.

This whiny Sixties guy happens to be right! Even the cool kids today are still reading the same books that they wrote back then. This generation has jack shit, except an ultimately pointless internet fascination, on the one hand, and frat icons, on the other. Here's one "lit mag" undergrad editor at Kent State:

"People think we're really liberal," he says, "but we're really very moderate." Submissions to the lit mag so far this year are mostly poetry and some memoirs about parents. "The one book that I know everyone has read," he says, "is 'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.' "

From Malcolm X to Tucker Max, just like that. Thank god Dr. Gonzo's not around to see this.