[lbo-talk] kids today

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 6 11:40:56 PST 2009

I didn't bother to go beyond the first few sentences, and im may improve. But those sentences in isolation remind me of much discussion of the '60s, and it is a source of political obscurantism The vast majority of "kids in the 60s" had very little to do with any of the activities which now characterize that period. This is obsscurantist because it contributes to the notion that to effect change one must have some huge majority of the population on one's side. This is false. I'm not sure what the percentage of the population in the '60s were actively involved, but it must have been closer to 3% than to 12%. Even among the black population, the percentage would have been low. Even when opinion polls began to show a majority "against" the war it wasn't quite true. A majority, looking up from whatever really concerned them, do you support the war or whatever, would have murmured No and gone back to more important matters. There was probably overwhelming _passive_ support among black americans for the civil-rights movement, but those actively involved would have far fewer.

ISU was around 6000 students then. At our biggest rallies we got 50 to 200.

Carrol