[lbo-talk] the right's devolution

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 13:53:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:

> "Arthur Schlesinger? Paul Krugman? A little further left, Naomi Klein?"
>
> It seems that online lib bigs enjoy larger sway. I mean, how does Arthur
> Schlesinger hold up celeb-wise to Greenwald, Yglesias, Perlstein, Klein?
>
> Dennis

I don't think those are really the proper analogues Friedman, Hayek, Burke, Oakenshott, &c. They're pundits, and certainly have more intellectual chops than their equivalents across the aisle, but they're not really purveyors of doctrine. Also: not dead. Dewey would be an analog if modern liberals referenced him as often as conservatives do Burke, I think.

Maybe conservatives are willing to quote dead conservative academics because there are simply less high-calibre conservative academics in general? This is a terribly patronizing theory, but...