[lbo-talk] IMF predicts a global recession

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 07:42:52 PDT 2009

----- Original Message ---- From: Charles Brown <cdb1003 at prodigy.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 9:54:09 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] IMF predicts a global recession

..an ugly brand of reactionary populism (against which McCain and Palin will look like wussy liberals) may rise to prominence. There is plenty of historical precedence of it. Wojtek

^^^^^^ CB; When you say "may" ,do you mean it may or may not ? What are the plenty of historical precedents in the US ?

[WS:] I meant world-wide, not just the US. Remarkably, the great depression did not produce a fascist movement in the US (which in itself is worthy an inquiry,) but it did elsewhere.

As to your may or may not question, I have no idea, and I do not think everyone else does. If I could tell the future, I would not be sitting on a university sinecure, trust me. All I was saying is that past historical records indicate a far greater probability for violent conflict in the aftermath of an economic downturn than Doug's posts seem to suggest.

Wojtek