[lbo-talk] the hidden underside of the right

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 10 08:42:45 PDT 2009

http://doughenwood.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/the-anguish-of-the-right-wing-intellectual/

The anguish of the right-wing intellectual A few postscripts to yesterday’s post about the intellectual devolution on the right. I should have noted that several conservative intellectuals have expressed some anguish about the situation. For example, David Frum (is he an intellectual? for these purposes, I suppose so) filed a cri de coeur (”Why Rush is Wrong“) with Newsweek, of all places, expressing worry that the rise of Rush Limbaugh to the de facto leadership of the Republican party is bad news for conservatism at a time when conservatives need a thoughtful reinvention rather than just heating up the old stuff they first cooked up in the 1970s. Many other conservatives are embarrassed by the rise of Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin, not to mention McCain’s proudly stupid campaign—as they should be.

Well yes, but....