[lbo-talk] Japanese manga version of Marx's Das Kapital

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 08:29:46 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Mark Bennett <bennett.mab at gmail.com> wrote:
> All right, I was running my digital mouth, and I certainly meant no
> offense.  I know that both of the series are very popular, and that some of
> the volumes are very good and very useful.   I briefly used - did not buy -
> the first "For Dummies" book, "DOS for Dummies," which was written by some
> local dude here in San Diego, and it *did *contain much useful information.
> However, it was written in an intolerably jokey style; virtually every
> paragraph contained some lame joke trying to sugarcoat the point raised.  I
> just find both franchises a little strange in comparison to, say, the
> venerable Schaum's outline series.  I'm a dummy and an idiot for being so
> harsh.

Well, my informant did put it in a "you might be surprised, but" kind of way. The wine book (which was I think the first of that series) avoids that grating jokeyness that sometimes permeates these entry-level books -- mostly it tells you to relax and helps you figure out what you enjoy.

Now, if anybody knows the equivalent of this in applied signal processing.... I didn't care much for Schaum's on the subject.

-- Andy