[lbo-talk] Marx quote: King, Subjects

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:50:42 PDT 2009

Carrol Cox wrote:
> I believe it is a footnote in C1, citing Hegel as its souce, and calling
> it an example of (I think) "reflext" category or something like that.
>
> Carrol
>
> heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help me out with the source and correct wording for Marx's
>> quote to the effect that the king thinks we are his subjects because he is
>> the king, but in fact he is the king because we are his subjects?
>> Thanks
>> James Heartfield

Not bad, Carrol.

After a few seconds of googling:

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch01.htm

Capital, Vol. 1, Ch. 1:

fn22. Such expressions of relations in general, called by Hegel reflex categories, form a very curious class. For instance, one man is king only because other men stand in the relation of subjects to him. They, on the contrary, imagine that they are subjects because he is king.

SA