[lbo-talk] Keynes's idea of "animal spirits" interpreted in terms of "behavioral economics"

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Fri Mar 13 10:54:24 PDT 2009

[One important difference between Keynes's psychoanalytic understanding of the idea and this "behavioral" intepretation of it - as I've also many, many, many times pointed out - is that Keynes looked forward to the eventual transcendence of the "animal spirits" of capitalism, i.e. to the eventual transcendence of "the dependence upon an intense appeal to the money-making and money-loving instincts of individuals as the main motive force of the economic machine", to a time when we would be free:

“to return to some of the most sure and certain principles of religion and traditional virtue - that avarice is a vice, that the exaction of usury is a misdemeanour, and the love of money is detestable, that those walk most truly in the paths of virtue and sane wisdom who take least thought for the morrow. We shall once more value ends above means and prefer the good to the useful. We shall honour those who can teach us how to pluck the hour and day virtuously and well, the delightful people who are capable to taking direct enjoyment in things, the lilies of the field who toil not, neither do they spin." (vol. IX, pp. 330-1) <http://www.eco.utexas.edu/facstaff/Cleaver/ 368keynesgrandchildren.html>]

Robert Shiller: "A failure to control the animal spirits" in the March 8 FT

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/453e55ca-0c0c-11de-b87d-0000779fd2ac.html