[lbo-talk] global stimulus: "colossal"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Mar 13 21:15:26 PDT 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:47:46 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Keeping the real economy, where goods are produced and
> jobs are provided, from imploding is the strategy.

Doug, this is not a rhetorical question, though I know it sounds like one. Do you believe that the elites care about the provision of jobs and the production of goods?

My own impression, for what it's worth, is that they care only about those things insofar as they are necessary to the preservation, and don't prevent the expansion, of their own wealth and privilege.

These are not -- and I've only got personal experience to go on here -- far-sighted, thoughtful, historically- minded people. If "keeping the bubble" going were possible, I have to think that's the option they'd prefer. Have you seen any reason to believe that they've really decided that can't be done, and we're in for a few decades -- or however long it takes -- of industrial fundamentalism?

Serious question. Perhaps I've underestimated them.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org