[lbo-talk] global stimulus: "colossal"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 13 23:05:08 PDT 2009

Michael Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:47:46 -0400
> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> Keeping the real economy, where goods are produced and
>>jobs are provided, from imploding is the strategy.
>

> Doug, this is not a rhetorical question, though
> I know it sounds like one. Do you believe that the
> elites care about the provision of jobs and the production
> of goods?
>
> My own impression, for what it's worth, is that they care
> only about those things insofar as they are necessary
> to the preservation, and don't prevent the expansion,
> of their own wealth and privilege.

I know this is addressed to Doug, but I'll jump in. Speculating about the motives of capitalists is pointless. As Marx pointed out in a recently posted quote, they're the bearers of social relations. (Their motives are the product of social relations, not the cause.) Even if we accurately gleaned their individual motives, it would not bring us one step closer to understanding capitalism or how to overthrow it.

Miles