[lbo-talk] political opportunity re: national health insurance from AIG bonus scandal ?

Sheldon Baker humanist.observer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:25:37 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Ira Glazer <ira.glazer at gmail.com> wrote:
> does anyone see any positive effect regarding the chances for national
> health insurance,
> given the seeming raw hatred towards AIG, a private insurance company ?
>

> is there an opportunity to use the simple moniker of 'insurance' to
> associate private health insurance with AIG, 'An insurance company' ?

Of course much of the outrage about AIG is that they recieved tax payer bailout money while handing out millions of dollars in bonuses. Unfortunately the private health insurance companies are doing just fine and I assume handing out bonuses without tax payer help. So they fly under the radar. Seems like what we need is some publicity about the salaries and bonuses that those insurance executives receive, and then for people to be able to connect the dots between poor coverage and soaring costs. Unfortunately, mainstream media doesn't help people connect those dots. The excessive salaries of executives seems only to be questioned in the MM when it is tax payers footing the bill, unfortunately.