[lbo-talk] Gold Base

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 17 14:54:12 PDT 2009

I just googled an address I have to drive to tomorrow to visit a client's family. This came up when I looked to see what's in the surrounding area. Please raise the alarm if I suddenly stop posting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Base

Gold Base

The Gold Base is the informal name of the international headquarters of the Church of Scientology, located on a 500-acre (2.0 km2) parcel of land just outside of San Jacinto, California. It is located at or near 19625 Gilman Springs Road, Gilman Hot Springs, California 92583. The area is the home of Golden Era Productions, the media and publications division of the church, which is the largest of the many organizational units located there. David Miscavige and other top leaders of the church live and work on the Base. Facilities

[....]

The base is home to all of the highest level management units of the Church of Scientology, all of which are staffed by Sea Organization members. Among the organizations there are the Religious Technology Center, the Commodore's Messenger Organization International and Golden Era Productions. Golden Era Productions manufactures the E-Meter and produces and distributes all church audio-visual materials, both internal and promotional.

The Gold Base is also referred to as the "Int Base", sometimes as the Hemet base. Until the mid-1990s the location of the base and the presence of international management there were kept secret, even to Scientologists at lower organizations.

In an article published in the LA Weekly, Gale Holland wrote that there are critics of the Church of Scientology who say that Gold Base "houses the church's highly secretive security apparatus".The fences feature inward-facing spikes, in addition to motion sensors every several feet and mounted video surveillance cameras.

Currently, most base personnel live in Hemet at the Vista Gardens Apartments or the Kirby Apartments and commute by base-owned bus.

[....]