[lbo-talk] Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy?

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:38:19 PDT 2009

I apologize for commenting in a tardy fashion to this conversation, but I'd make the following point. The Time magazine article claims that the plant is "California's biggest cash crop, responsible for $14 billion a year in sales." Let us assume that this estimate is for 2007. In 2007, the GDP for the state of California was roughly $1.8 trillion in nominal terms. In<http://www.bea.gov/regional/definitions/nextpage.cfm?key=Agriculture,%20forestry,%20fishing,%20and%20hunting>agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting, its GDP was about $28 billions (again, in nominal terms for 2007).

On its face, it seems somewhat implausible that an expansion in the production of pot is going to put much of a dent in California's demand gap. It may sustain the level of employment in the agricultural sector to what it was at the peak of the previous business cycle, however.

ep