[lbo-talk] Staff union files NLRB charges against SEIU

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 23:05:54 PDT 2009

Union Is Accused of Violations

By Steven Greenhouse New York Times March 17, 2009

The staff union of the Service Employees International Union has accused it of violating labor laws in its plan to lay off 75 of its 200 staff employees. The staff union, the Union of Union Representatives, has complained to the National Labor Relations Board, asserting that the S.E.I.U. has failed to bargain about the impact of the layoffs and has sought to dissolve the staff union by reducing its membership. The staff union is urging the service employees to rescind the planned layoffs. Michelle Ringuette, an S.E.I.U. spokeswoman, predicted that the complaint would be dismissed, saying her union has bargained properly and met its contractual obligations. She said the layoffs stemmed from a decision made at the union's convention to have more organizing done by its locals.

A version of this article appeared in print on March 17, 2009, on page A15 of the New York edition

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/us/17brfs-UNIONISACCUS_BRF.html?_r=2