[lbo-talk] Glenn Beck breaks down in tears, blubbers on-air AGAIN

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 18 08:23:11 PDT 2009

Carrol Cox wrote:
> Of course it comes from standard sources. You don't need Pew research
for that. Anyone who thinks different on such an obvious point is among those not worth reading. And if you don't read them, you don't get all hot and bothered about their errors. The world is full of error; you've got to exercise some judgment over what error is worth chasing and what error is best ignored.

as SA said yesterday, good thing you weren't around to coach Marx about Ricardo and Smith. :)

The rest really isn't addressed to you, but more as a general observation -- since I already know your answer: you don't care. :)

What is puzzling to me about this convo is that everyone seems to be focusing on the _medium_ of the newspaper, rather than what's really going on: the death of investigative journalism or some form of what Shirky naively calls 'truth telling'. I mean, Michael Pollak didn't ignore that aspect of the press.

Shirky refers to the function of the press as 'truth telling' - though he never refers to it as the Fourth Estate which was once more common term.

It's not clear why he never brought up the older notion of the press as the "fourth estate" (well, actually, because it would undermine his thesis).

anyway, not that investigative journalism was so healthy to begin with, but without large-scale media organizations that can make money on arts and leisure section advertising in order to subsidize their less profitable political journalism (or what have you), you are left with the "Third Estate" - millions of people writing 140 character blurbs and uploading photos and video footage taken with their phone and calling it "news". What's interesting about that, to me, is the empiricism of it. There seems to be this idea that if you are just there and report "just the "facts ma'am" then you're engaged in "truth telling."

shag