[lbo-talk] rushkoff to economy: drop dead

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Mar 18 14:15:40 PDT 2009

> What say you LBO'ers? Is there anything to this? Can a new society be
> built from the ashes of the old? Or do we just get fascism? And why does
> he insist on calling it "corporatism" instead of "capitalism"? So many
> questions...
>
> http://www.arthurmag.com/2009/03/16/let-it-die-rushkoff-on-the-economy/
>
> - josh

because he doesn't appear to think capitalism or markets are bad, just bigness and corporations. (consider his earlier book, _Get Back in the Box_, and the blurb on his site:

The age of mass production, mass media, and mass marketing may be over, but so, too, is the alienation it engendered between producers and consumers, managers and employees, executives and shareholders and, worst of all, businesses and their own core values and competencies.

American enterprise, in particular, is at a crossroads. Having for too long replaced innovation with acquisitions, tactics, efficiencies, and ad campaigns, many businesses have dangerously lost touch with the process – and fun - of discovery."

You see, it's not capitalism that is rotten at the core; is rather just a bad way of doing business. if companies would just get back to the "core competencies" and shareholders stopped worrying so much about shareholder value, all would be right with the world.

As such, Rushkoff doesn't want a new society. He just wants apple pie capitalism.

shag