[lbo-talk] Notes on an Orientation to the Obama Presidency

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Mar 19 14:04:19 PDT 2009

> DOUG: >And, really, you don't think that Obama gets a break from
liberals and
> leftists because of his blackness? There's just no question about it.
> You think Charles would be blanketing the Internet with apologetics for
> John Kerry?
>
> JENNY: I have no idea, but I do remember the Clinton years and I recall
a whole
> lot of apologizing going on, some of it even justified.
>
> Jenny Brown

Well, now the goal post has changed. the original claim was that *this list* is all on about Obama, criticizing his every move and refusing to credit him with anything.

But, for the two years in which Clinton was president while this was alive, I don't recall a great deal of excusing going on. It was a constant barrage of criticism, with a small minority of people who were clearly _liberals_ complaining that people needed to back off on criticisms of Clinton.

tangentially related:

I am too lazy to look it up, by I came across a blogger complaining that over on the Jack and Jill Politics blog, no one there could *ever* get a word in edgewise of being critical about Obama. In this case, her criticism, as a black woman, was that he wasn't putting enough black people in positions of power. The overwhelming response on JandJP, apparently, is that you should give the guy a chance and to then list the black folks he has put in positions in the admin.

Reading the threadat JandJP, I was reminded that Dwayne mentioned a great interview on Doug's show awhile ago, in which the scholar, Preston Smith, argued that the hopes and dreams of a faction of black folk is in what Preston calls "racial democracy" which he counterposes to "social democracy. Basically, Smith is provided an historical sociology of what Adolph Reed calls, IIRC, assimilationist black nationalism. (someone correct me on that. I think that's his term.)

As for Charles specifically. I think Charles just likes to be right, always! :)

the interview is quite excellent, http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#081204

you can learn more about him here: http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/misc/profile/psmith.shtml shag