[lbo-talk] Notes on an Orientation to the Obama Presidency

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 19 16:26:23 PDT 2009

shag wrote:

> Well, now the goal post has changed. the original claim was that *this
> list* is all on about Obama, criticizing his every move and refusing to
> credit him with anything.

I haven't read most of this thread yet, so this post is not aimed at any particular argument anyone has put forth.

I think way back last summer or fall on some list I suggested that leftists did not "criticize" the president of the united states, whoever he/she might be: one criticizes one's friends, but the president of the united states, from whatver party, is ex officio the leader of the system we must destroy. One does not critize enemies, one opposes them. There is a difference. And even when the enemy is doing something one desires done, one does not support the enemy, one merely says to oneself,nice, and goes about one's proper business of thinking and acting to destroy the capitalist system and, in the meantime, as u.s. citizens, do what we can to cripple u.s. international activity.

Carrol