[lbo-talk] The Nation web site sabotaged?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Mar 19 17:35:25 PDT 2009

At 08:02 PM 3/19/2009, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>I tried to search something on The Nation's web site today and I got a
>really nasty virus which McAfee was unable to detect. I had to factory
>restore the hard drive to get rid of it. I downloaded a new anti-virus
>software (AVG - free edition) and tried to visit The Nation again. This
>time the anti-virus software detected the threat.
>
>But it looks like some right-wing Repug swine booby-trapped their web
>site. Is there any way to confirm that?

without more info, hard to say exactly what you encountered, but I came across a couple earlier this week. there's a rash of attacks on web sites lately (actually, been going on for 2 years) that has nothing to do with politics -- in the sense you mean, though maybe Russian crime politics. I dunno. it sounds like an iframe injection attack, http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/03/ongoing-iframe-attack-proving-difficult-to-kill.ars

which, a year ago, was exploited by RBN, Russian Business Network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Business_Network

"is a multi-faceted cybercrime organization, specializing in and in some cases monopolizing personal identity theft for resale. It is the originator of MPack and an alleged operator of the Storm botnet.[1][2][3] The RBN, which is notorious for its hosting of illegal and dubious businesses, originated as an Internet service provider for child pornography, phishing, spam, and malware distribution physically based in St. Petersburg, Russia. By 2007, it developed partner and affiliate marketing techniques in many countries to provide a method for organized crime to target victims internationally "

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws