[lbo-talk] Geithner Plan Mark II

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 09:43:04 PDT 2009

DH:

It's awful. Heads I win, tails you lose for the hedge fund/private equity guys. Squat for the public.

JG:

Not that it would have made any difference in policy outcomes, but in my cut-rate opinion, the liberal-progressive-left has focused entirely too much on executive compensation and bonuses, and even (to a much lesser degree) too much on good Sweden model versus bad Japan model. I could be wrong but it seems to me there has been scant attention paid to radically curbing bank liability-to-asset ratios and radically curbing speculative trading in derivatives contracts by third, fourth, fifth, and nth parties. I mean, even publicly owned and managed banks would be enticed to get into that quicksand again if there is no structural change to financial markets. The regulatory reform discussion instead seems to revolve around DLC duds like transparent pricing of securitized debt and monitoring systemic risk and blah blah blah. It's weird, I'm sounding like a white paper wonk myself.

_________________________________________________________________ Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/141323790/direct/01/