[lbo-talk] Is Obama Running Interference to ProtectBankers' Pay?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:28:08 PDT 2009

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> And in rides his majesty, the liberal individual, presumably on a
> white horse. Nothing that I mentioned operates on the conceptual
> framework of choice. You might want to pick up some those Althusser
> essays and read them. (Which your reviewer has about as little
> understanding of as you do). If borrowing from Freud terrifies you so
> much (overdetermination is a term appropriated from Freud), you might
> think about looking at Gramsci or Voloshinov, perhaps even Marx.
> robert wood

Hey, if you're tired of this discussion we're under no obligation to pursue it. But I'll just point out that invoking the phrase "liberal individual" with ritual sarcasm and then issuing a directive to read Althusser doesn't constitute an argument. Declaring that choice is irrelevant to the subject at hand is not the same thing as demonstrating it.

Man, Kolakowski was right.

SA