[lbo-talk] Is Obama Running Interference to ProtectBankers' Pay?

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Mar 23 16:04:03 PDT 2009

It was irrelevant to the structure that I presented. Your reading was the problem. Misreading is the problem here. I would suggest returning to what I said earlier without your translations. You offer one of two choices, a sovereign individual who chooses or a sovereign system, which are in the end, two sides of the same coin. Social movements are not created by individuals who 'choose', invariably they are created collectively out of structures of subjection. (For instance, early gay rights movements draw their discourse from medical discourses of pathology.) These movements generally then begin to transform those structures of signification as they become larger social forces and shift structures of power. (So, the german sexologists are recognized by people in the GLBT movement, but there analysis would be, by in large, alien to it) At this point, they attract what Gramsci referred to as 'traditional intellectuals' who then transform the frameworks even more. (People like Judith Butler) This is always tied into structures of assemblage, and hopefully at some point, hegemonic articulations. (a non-heteronormative society, I suppose). robert wood

P.S. I'm still not sure what your critic is 'right' about, certainly not Althusser.....