[lbo-talk] Is World De-Population a Problem?

ehrbar ehrbar at lists.econ.utah.edu
Wed Mar 25 05:17:34 PDT 2009

As long as population declines, the age pyramid is weighted towards the older people. And if this decline is sudden and steep, this imbalance can place a high burden on the younger generation. In my thinking this means we should promote a gradual population decline now, before the big crises hit which will cause people to suddenly stop reproducing altogether. USA Today of course comes to a different conclusion: have more children, so that, if you are old, you can get help to navigate the health care system and get protection from financial predators. It is almost comical how the excesses of capitalism are considered here immutable givens, to which everything else has to adapt. And how they come to the conclusion that a shrinking population needs more resources than a growing population is beyond me. We have to fight not only against climate change deniers but also against overpopulation deniers.

Hans.

Hans G. Ehrbar http://www.econ.utah.edu/~ehrbar ehrbar at economics.utah.edu Economics Department, University of Utah (801) 581 7797 (my office) 1645 Campus Center Dr., Rm 308 (801) 581 7481 (econ office) Salt Lake City UT 84112-9300 (801) 585 5649 (FAX)