[lbo-talk] Andy Stern goes to the extreme

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 05:23:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> So our SEIU friends here have been quiet on the peace deal with CNA. Funny
> how the two unions went from seeing each other as the earthly emissaries of
> Satan to discovering all this new common ground!

Funny too how many on this list were more than eager to swallow hook, line and sinker anything bad C.N.A. had to say about SEIU (e.g. backroom deal, company union, etc.)! I'm still trying to process this from the NYT story:

[ . . . ]

Just two months ago, Ms. DeMoro called the service employees “the new poster child for bad union behavior” and said that, compared with the corrupt Teamsters of old, the “S.E.I.U. makes them look like choirboys.” Ms. DeMoro said her comments had been made in the heat of battle.

[ . . . ]

Suddenly I don't feel so tough anymore. Obviously SEIU as an institution gave up a ton in the agreement, but from the perspective of the unorganized hospital worker this deal is great:

http://www.nrtw.org/en/blog/bickering-seiu-and-cna-union-bosses-quit-feud-3202009

National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation Bickering Union Bosses Quit Feuding to Ramp Up Coercive Organizing Fri, 03/20/2009 - 11:10 — Will Collins

After a long and vicious feud, it seems CNA and SEIU bosses have finally buried the hatchet... in the backs of independent nurses:

Two of the nation’s fastest-growing labor unions — the Service Employees International Union and the California Nurses Association — ended a bitter yearlong dispute on Wednesday by agreeing to work together to unionize hospital workers and push for universal health coverage.

For the last year, the two unions have viciously denounced each other, with the service employees accusing the nurses of sabotaging efforts to organize 8,300 hospital workers in Ohio, and the nurses’ union accusing S.E.I.U. officials of stalking and harassing its leaders.

“We have buried the hatchet,” said Rose Ann DeMoro, president of the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee.

So the SEIU and CNA bosses have tabled their ugly little internecine war to focus on what's REALLY important to them -- corralling more nurses into forced-dues-paying ranks!

Given the circumstances, we're not too suprised by this touching reconciliation. The heart of the CNA-SEIU feud -- CNA criticisms of coercive SEIU organizing tactics -- was pretty much a dead letter after CNA operatives were implicated in the exact same practices at Houston and Philadelphia-area hospitals. For those of you who missed it, here's the Foundation's video report on coercive CNA organizing abuses in Texas: