[lbo-talk] software question

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 27 08:27:33 PDT 2009

[WS:] I know that I can embed objects in ooimpress (or draw) imported from external file. However, what I am tryig to do is a bit different.

In Excel, I can select any given data set (matrix), create a chart out of it, and save that chart as a _separate_ spreadsheet, which I can print as a chart alone (or export it.) The data that generates the chart is on another sheet and does not show, except as labels on the chart (if I so choose.) If I change the data driving that chart, the chart itself changes accordingly.

In oocalc I can only create charts as objects embedded in the data spreadsheet. I may look at it at my machine, but when I try to print, it looks like shit, because it prints the whole fucking spreadsheet, numbers that generate the chart and any other entry that happens to be on that sheet. Thus far, I have been unable to print the chart alone, as I can in Excel.

I can embed chart in ooimpress (or oodraw) using a wizard, but that chart is linked to a data table than cannot be updated other than by retyping entries by hand. This is not an acceptable solution.

I can also embed an oocalc spreadsheet with a chart embedded in it, but it will look exactly like one on my screen, with data and all other crap, not just the chart. Again, totally useless.

I find it rather frustrating that OpenOffcie does not have what appears rather simple functionality. I have a spreadsheet application running on my PDA (SpreadCE by Bye Design Ltd. in the UK, http://www.byedesign.co.uk/, a truly superb product and excellent product support) which has that functionality (i.e. I have a choice of creating chart as an object or as a separate sheet.) So if it is possible to create it in a program running on a PDA, why is it so fucking difficult to do in a software running on a full-fledged PC?

Wojtek