[lbo-talk] software question

John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 18:36:07 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2009, at 8:13 PM, John S Costello wrote:
>
>> Since I work for Microsoft and have actually had a long talk with one
>> of the Office 2007 product managers about the product, I feel
>> competent to answer some of these questions.
>
> While you're at it, could you ask why they dropped Visual Basic in the
> latest Mac version, and made it impossible to copy/paste an Excel graph into
> Illustrator?

I know the answer to the VBA question. Microsoft's VBA for Mac implementation was tuned for PPC and they got caught flat-footed when the switch to Intel happened. Rather than hold up the release until an Intel implementation was finished, they released it without VBA. And it was a huge mistake -- customers hated it; many, like you, refused to upgrade. So there will be a fully-compatible VBA engine in the next release of Office.

I don't know about Excel and Illustrator. I'll see if I can find someone who knows the answer.

-- John

-- "The more I practice, the luckier I get." -- Ben Hogan