[lbo-talk] My Aristotle rant, was: Re: Glenn Beck breaks down in tears, blubbers on-air AGAIN

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Mar 29 20:27:04 PDT 2009

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Chris Doss
> <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The Greeks and pre-Christians
>> in general did not define "being a happy person" (Diogenes
>> notwithstanding;
>> we're speaking generally) with one's internal "feelings" at all.

I think this is quite right. But what the Greeks (and Romans) meant by a "happy" (well-daimoned, or fortunate, or blessed) life seems to vary widely--from the phrase attributed to Solon "think no man happy until he is dead" to the declaration of the Chorus in *Oedipus at Colonnus* "the best is never to be born, next is to die immediately after birth..." passing by the Epicurean concept of the happy life as one devoid of strong internal "feelings." And then there was the role of Tuche, the Romans' great goddess Fortuna.

Shane Mage